UBM Medica US announces that Psychiatric Times, a leading online community for mental health professionals, reports on the field of addiction psychiatry from the 25th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry (AAAP) in Aventura, Florida. Some highlights from the conference include:
- Diagnosing and Treating Substance Use Disorders in General Psychiatry: How does the diagnosis and treatment of substance use disorders fit into the general practice of psychiatry? Dr. Laurence Westreich, President of the AAAP, addresses that question in this podcast.
- Addictive Disorders: Updates and Findings: Ismene L. Petrakis, MD touches on alcohol use disorders, e-cigarettes, prescription opioid use and abuse, cannabis use, stimulant use, medical marijuana, gambling, and opioid antagonist therapy to prevent overdose.
- What All Psychiatrists Need to Know About Addictions: Because at least 10% of the US population suffers from a substance use disorder in any given year, the AAAP has expanded its longstanding Board Review Course in Addictions to a more inclusive “Addictions and Their Treatment” course.
- Special Populations in Addiction Psychiatry: The Elderly and Women Medication misuse and alcohol abuse are a huge problem in the US, and women and the elderly are not exempt. In this Q&A, Louis A. Trevisan, MD touches on the epidemiology, recognition, assessment, and treatment of substance use disorder in these two populations.
- Adolescent Marijuana Use and Vulnerability for Neuropsychiatric Disorders: An overview of some of the recent scientific data examining the relationship between adolescent marijuana use and later onset of neuropsychiatric disorders.
- Pharmacogenetics to Predict Treatment Outcome in Substance Use Disorders: This brief communication by Hussam Jefee-Bahloul, MD highlights the importance of genetic predictors and moderators of treatment research in the field of substance use.
Additionally, several prominent psychiatrists presented their expertise in podcasts and videos featured on Psychiatric Times:
- Treatment for Cocaine Dependence
- Motivational Interviewing: An Inspirational Overview
- Effects of Adolescent Marijuana Use on Cognition
Psychiatric Times is the country’s leading psychiatric publication and regularly publishes content on key issues in mental health.
About UBM Medica US
Addressing today’s healthcare information needs, UBM Medica US, delivers strategic, integrated communications solutions and comprehensive reach — online, in print, via custom programs and live events. Improving the effectiveness of healthcare through information and education, UBM Medica US provides unbiased clinical, practical, and business information for physicians, providers and payers resulting in improved quality of care for patients around the world. Through journals, magazines, online communities, live and digital events, and other valuable resources, UBM Medica US also delivers comprehensive communication solutions for the pharmaceutical and related industries. Online communities include CancerNetwork.com, ConsultantLive.com, DiagnosticImaging.com, RheumatologyNetwork.com, OBGYN.net, PhysiciansPractice.com, PsychiatricTimes.com and SearchMedica.com. UBM Medica US is part of UBM Americas which, through a range of aligned interactive environments, both physical and digital – increases business effectiveness for both customers and audiences through meaningful experiences, knowledge and connections. Headquartered in New York, UBM Americas brings together UBM’s healthcare business, UBM Medica US; UBM Tech’s technology communities, live events and custom services; UBM Canon’s advanced design and manufacturing event, online and print brands; UBM Connect New York’s catering, cruise shipping, contact-center management, and fine, specialty and custom chemical communities; and UBM Mexico’s concrete, construction and hospitality services shows. For more information, visit www.UBMMedicaUS.com.
About UBM plc
UBM plc is a global events-led marketing services and communications company. We help businesses do business, bringing the world’s buyers and sellers together at events and online, as well as producing and distributing news and specialist content. Our 5,500 staff in more than 30 countries are organized into expert teams which serve commercial and professional communities, helping them to do business and their markets to work effectively and efficiently.
Latest posts by Bill Morgan (see all)
- Japanese Firm Offers Non-Smokers Extra Days Off to Compensate for Lack of Smoke Breaks - November 4, 2017
- Google Promotes the Icon of Selena Quintanilla with New Doodle - October 17, 2017
- Tesla Is Halfway through Its Promise to Deliver Largest Battery Installation in South Australia - October 2, 2017